In this blog I'll share what I have learned over the years about drawing and painting. My processes creating illustrations, visual development and concept art. I'll share thoughts, techniques and ideas that have worked for me in my career as an illustrator. I hope they inspire , and work for you too!

zondag 10 april 2011

My outdoor equipment

This is my equipment for painting gouache sketches outdoors:

1.) Moleskine sketchbook with watercolor paper. The size and shape of this sketchbook is well suited for landscapes, and it works good for gouache.

2.) This is my palette. It has a lid, so I can close it, and the paint will stay wet. If I work on a bigger scale and more paint is required, I can also use the lid for mixing paints. I can close it, and put it in my bag without everything becoming messy with paint.
John Pike watercolor palette: LINK


3.) I use:
-a pencil, for my initial sketch
-a sumi-e brush for my initial broad washes. The shape of the brush has a lot of variation, which creates interesting shapes.
-two watercolor brushes for detailing and linework
-two square watercolor brushes for block ins
-two broad watercolor brushes also for initial washes

4.) -A water container. (I just see what old jar i have, and use that..)
-Gouache paints. I use a selection of basic colors. When I am on the spot to actually paint, I decide which colors will end up on my palette. I hardly ever use all the colors I take with me.

5.) An atomizer. It is filled with water, and I use it on my palette to keep my paint from drying out. I also use it for effects on my painting.


6.) A small chair, which makes it easy to sit wherever I want..

This is the complete package I carry with me when I go out to paint...

...this

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten